Saturday, October 14, 2006

Badly Drawn Boy - Hiro Ballroom Night 2

Wow, so I realize that it's been a few days since the show, sorry!

The Badly Drawn Boy show itself was amazing, my only complaint was that the show was in a posh night club that forced the band to cut their set shorter than they had planned. They still managed to play for nearly 2 hours but you can see that they had to skip quite a few songs they had intended to play! The highlights for me were "Nothings Gonna Change Your Mind", the first single off the upcoming album, which is a stunner in typical BDB fashion, and "Something to Talk About" which always brings the house down. The audience was also given the treat of a duet with Damon & "his Claire" singing the cover "One Last Dance". It was great to see Damon in such fine spirits and really enjoying the admiration of the crowd. He also did a rousing version of "All Possibilities" during which he interacted (sometimes physically) with the crowd and hammed it up a bit!

Some of the other highlights included hilarious covers of "Like a Virgin" and "Don't Stop Believin'" [by Journey]. Damon also proved his utter love and admiration for "the Boss" by covering Thunder Road again. I'm still hoping he'll do a cover of an Elliott Smith song, as I requested "Between the Bars" at the Town Hall show a few years ago. U
nfortunately his misinterpreted what I said and thought I was referring to a Scott Walker song. I spoke with him after that show and explained the request and he was upset his missed out on doing it. Hopefully at some point in the future he'll do it!

As the show was supposed to have been finishing, the band left the stage and the stage hands begain packing up the equipment, Damon came back out on stage to perform "Magic in the Air" which is just one of my all time favorites, so that was definitely a treat!

It was definitely a great night, I just wish I could've gone
to night 1 as well! The location of the venue though was lackluster as far as I'm concerned, it was way too posh and snobby for me! But I would definitely recommend the venue because the sound and intimacy offered are outstanding!

2 Comments:

Blogger keep-it-like-a-secret said...

Sounds like it was an awesome show. We missed the Boston gig unfortunately.

The show at the Iron Horse is still one of my favorites of all time.

9:41 AM  
Blogger iworkatinitech said...

As good as the Iron Horse show was I still think that the Town Hall show a few years ago was even better!!! The intimacy at Hiro was actually on par if not better than the Iron Horse!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home